Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Whole30:Day 24

I literally just had to go look at my calendar to see what day I'm on.  I don't know if that's good or bad.

Where to start?  Hmmm.  Well, I didn't post yesterday so let me think about what I ate.  

Breakfast was the usual frittata and hot lemon water.  Morning snack was red grapes.  Lunch was a salad with mixed greens, tomato, avocado and tuna salad.

The tuna was from Whole Foods.  It's only ingredients were tuna and water, whereas typical grocery store brands contain soy.  I made the tuna salad with homemade mayo and dill relish.

Yesterday's afternoon snack was homemade trail mix and dinner was leftover chicken drumsticks, Brussels sprouts and roasted carrots and onion. Yum!

I did have some chocolate yesterday, but it was literally three small pieces, about the size of M & Ms.  One of the volunteers at the Pregnancy Care Center where I work brought them back from Peru and literally put them in my hand.  It didn't seem polite to decline that small of a serving and have to explain the Whole30. She was excited to share and I was excited to try Peruvian chocolate!

Today was very similar except my morning snack was cantaloupe and then celery with almond butter.    

After lunch I ate a Blueberry Muffin Larabar which held me over until supper, which was a recipe from It Starts With Food.  Ground beef, onion, garlic salt, pepper, and red onion served over fresh parsley with sugar snap peas.

That banana bread is still a temptation and some coworkers had Nutella today which I would have enjoyed on a banana or apple.

Three weeks in and I still don't feel any more energetic than usual.  My skin is clearer and I'm not as bloated as I was before the Whole30.  Those two issues are hormonal for me (as I've mentioned), so I'm not sure if one cycle is enough time to see if the Whole30 really resolves them or not.

I'm starting to feel a little anxious about adding sugar, grains, dairy, and legumes back in, as I'm not sure which to start with or even if I want to add them back in.  It Starts With Food and Whole30 both have recommendations for reintroduction so I'll be exploring my options this week.

After my last post I have been thinking about a Bible verse I can use to deal with sugar cravings and binges:

1 Corinthians 6:12 
"Everything is permissible for me," but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible for me," but I will not be mastered by anything.

To paraphrase, I have the right to eat whatever I want, but not all foods are beneficial and I will not be mastered by any of them.  

To personalize, I have the right to eat as much sugar as I want, but since too much sugar is not good for me, I will eat a serving and leave the rest.  It is not in charge of me!

Or even, I can eat as much sugar as I want, but it is not good for me, so I'm not going to eat any right now.  Sugar is not the boss of me!

I've also been thinking about this quote: “Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today.”

To personalize, If you eat sugar and feel like the day is ruined, instead of eating more sugar, just start over right now.  Don't wait until tomorrow to start over!

That quote is attributed to Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and Mark Twain among others.  Anyone know the real source?

I'm hoping I can wake up early and enjoy the morning tomorrow.  I have a lot to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment